The war memorial for Graffham and East Lavington is a stone monument in the centre of Graffham near the recreation ground, and has the South Downs as a backdrop. It is inscribed:
Erected by Sir James Buchanan (Bart) of Lavington Park and the inhabitants of Graffham & East Lavington in proud & loving memory of the 25 men of these parishes whose names are engraven hereon who gave their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918 for right freedom and honour and in grateful recognition of those 117 men who also served & whose names are recorded in the parish church roll of honour – “their names shall live forever”.
The memorial lists the names of the fallen and the year of their death and was unveiled on Sunday, 12 June 1921. The form of service lists 120 men from Graffham and Lavington who served in the war and returned.
James Buchanan provided a “welcome home dinner and smoking concert” for those who served in His Majesty’s Forces, in the Empire Hall on 11 June 1919.
There is also a plaque in St Giles Church, Graffham to the same 25 men, giving their names and regiment.
There is an individual plaque for Geoffrey Sunderland in St Giles Church.
St Peter’s Chapel, Woolavington is now the chapel for Seaford College and the guide produced by Jocelyn Johnson notes:
The Commando Memorial (above the south door)
Lavington Park was the Commando Headquarters in the Second World War. Many of the plans for D‐Day were formulated in the Mansion. Years later, after the war, they would return to St Peter’s for an annual service of thanksgiving.
Memorials to the Old Seafordians (on each side of the west door)
Two tablets showing the names of Seafordians who died in the First and Second World Wars tell their own sad stories. The surname Savage appears on the tablets of both wars; these boys were relatives of Colonel Savage, who founded Seaford College at Seaford in East Sussex in 1884.